Next morning, I packed up and left my bag at the guest house and had until evening to explore Lucca more thoroughly. It was a beautiful day; after the cold winter we'd had at home it was great to feel some warmth from the sun and to spend some time out in the open just appreciating it.
The old city of Lucca is quite compact, and during the day I managed to explore most of it. There is a distinct style of architecture in the churches (known as Luccan-Pisan Romanesque) which I liked a lot. In general I'm a fan of Romanesque architecture, based on the Roman round arch rather than the Gothic pointed arch. In Britain it is usually called Norman. My favourite Luccan church was San Michele in Foro, which has an extravagant west front and a statue of the Archangel Michael perched above it; it's in my favourite piazza as well.
In the evening I went back to fetch my bag from the guest house, and then trudged back to the station to catch a train for Florence.
Sunday, 2 May 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment