The house is lovely. It's quite small, but perfect for me. I have a terrace looking out onto the harbour, which is called Scalo Galera. And I can see the islands of Panarea and Stromboli. Stromboli is an active volcano, and has been for several thousand years, and I can clearly see the smoke coming from the craters at the top. I chose the house 'blind', relying on the advert at the lettings agency (Eoliando in Lipari). The pictures didn't do it justice. The big surprise was the view of the neighbouring cliffs, which are quite stunning, especially at sunset when the sun picks up the orange of the rocks.
The house was a bit further from the centre of Malfa than I imagined, and it's a fairly steep climb up. All the furniture comes from IKEA, which seems to be the case for a lot of holiday lets in Europe (I've stayed in apartments furnished from IKEA in Budapest, Barcelona and on Gran Canaria and Tenerife). In this case, the nearest store is in Salerno on the Italian mainland, so it's quite a trip to get stuff from there.
As the harbour faces north, it gets less sun than other parts of the island. The terrace is in full sun in the morning, but loses it in the afternoon. As the summer progresses, it comes back again in late afternoon. And in high summer I suspect the northern aspect makes it a good deal cooler and pleasant. It was certainly a bit cool sometimes in the evening.
Tuesday, 25 May 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment