Saturday, 24 April 2010

Lucca

Lucca is now one of my favourite small cities in the whole world. After the crowds and the soullessness of Florence (I bet most of the visitors queueing for the Uffizi had no real idea why they were there – or is that me just being judgmental?) Lucca was a revelation as to just how perfect a Renaissance city could be.
From the station, you enter the city through its immense walls and then wander through streets into piazzas and it's all harmonious and lovely. I was booked into a guest house, the San Frediano, and found it easily enough just off the main shopping street, the Via Filungo. I had thought of taking a siesta, but having tasted a sample of the city in the walk from the station I wanted more, so after a shower and change I set out and wandered aimlessly for a couple of hours, admiring everything. Such a difference from Florence, the pace was much slower, the numbers of tourists less oppressive and the atmosphere much more comfortable. I had dinner in a restaurant a couple of doors from where I was staying. At 7pm, I was the only person in the place at first, but I was hungry, wanted an early night and couldn't wait any more. It was a local place serving Tuscan food – I had pasta made from chestnut flour as a starter and rabbit (coniglio alla Lucchese) as a main course. I can recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment