Thursday, 4 March 2010

Itinerary for outward journey (Part 1: Manchester to Florence)

This is how I'm planning to travel:

Departure date is Wednesday 14th April. First stage is Manchester to London. I decided to travel first class with East Midlands Trains to St Pancras, firstly because it was slightly cheaper than second class on Virgin Trains, and secondly because EM goes into St Pancras, saving me a walk down Euston Road from Euston Station in London. I should arrive at just after 12.30.

Next is the Eurostar from London to Paris. I'm booked on the 14.04 departure, due into the Gare du Nord in Paris at 17.26. Then a quick trip on the RER across Paris to the Gare de Bercy (not far from the Gare de Lyon).

The overnight train to Florence (called the Palatino) leaves the Gare de Bercy at 18.52. I have a place in a 4-couchette compartment. I used this train the last time I was in the Aeolians in 2007 and it was an uneventful journey. It arrives in Florence on Thursday morning at 07.23.

My plan is then to leave my rucksack at the left luggage in the main station, and have a few hours in Florence.

No comments:

Post a Comment